Posted sign violations and standard Maryland Traffic Regulations are enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days per year (regardless of whether UMBC is open or closed that day). Parking permits are enforced during the hours of 8 AM to 4 PM, Monday – Friday. Parking permits are required during the summer. There is no free parking during the hours of 8 AM to 4 PM. You must pay between the hours of 7 AM and 7 PM, Monday thru Friday, in the Pay-to-Park lots.
1. Do you have to pay-to-park in visitor parking lots?
A. All individuals parking in the pay-to-park lots must pay $2 per hour. This policy is in effect, Monday – Friday during the hours of 7 AM to 7 PM. Regardless of whether you are sitting in your car, if you are in a space, you must pay. You may pay at the Pay Machines at any pay-to-park lot. Machines accept cash or credit card payments. Please note, pay machines do NOT give change. Please the exact amount you want or you will not receive change. A new option is the Park Mobile App. You can pay conveniently from your phone or device. Receipts are no longer needed.
A. Lot 31 (located by the old Baltimore County Court House) will be open to anyone with an C, D or E permit.
A. Commuter students receive the A Permit. Walker Avenue Apartments students receive a B Permit. Resident students receive the C Permit. Please note, sharing permits is strictly prohibited and will result in citations and further penalties from student conduct.
A. You have 30 days to pay off your account balance before a $10 late fee will be added. If not paid after 45 days, an additional $20 late fee will be added, and a student hold added to your account. Payments can be made with cash or check in the Parking Services Offices or at the UMBC Parking Portal with a credit card.
- Lack of knowledge about parking regulations – When you were issued your permit you acknowledged reading the UMBC Parking Rules and Regulations
- Dropping off an assignment or seeing an instructor.
- Short-term parking – left hazard lights on. Parked in the visitor garage? Please pay. Sitting in your car in a space is still occupying a space and you must pay.
- Parking for just a “short time”. It is $2 for UP TO an hour at the Pay to Park Lots.
- Unable to find a legally-marked parking space. There are always spaces available. Plan ahead and be prepared for a reasonable walk.
- Parking in a reserved space without a valid permit for the reserved space. Between 8 AM and 4 PM, Monday to Friday you need a permit. If the University is open (classes or not), this policy applies.
- Inoperable vehicle (car trouble). Things happen but it is YOUR JOB to notify Parking Services in a timely fashion. Please don’t wait until you have received multiple citations to reach out to Parking Services.
- Late to or from an appointment or class. Being late is not an acceptable excuse to park illegally.
Valid reasons would be a medical emergency, family emergency or illness